Munson, William C.
Farmer, Mill Owner
From Harriet Taylor Upton, A Twentieth Century History of Trumbull County, Ohio, A Narrative Account of its Historical Progress, Its People, and Its Principal Interests (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, 1909), Volume 2, pp. 418-419:
WILLIAM C. MUNSON, the venerable man who is so well known in Trumbull county, as farmer and mill owner, and now retired by reason of age and infirmities, is a native of Vienna township, this county, born October 8, 1826, a son of Rilman and Betsy (Sowers) Munson. The father was a native of Waterbury, Connecticut, born January 25, 1799. The good mother was born in Germany and came with her parents to America when three years of age, the date of her birth being September 26, 1801. The grandfather, Calvin Munson, was a native of England, as was his wife, Sarah Hungerford. They came to Connecticut at an early day. He was both a tanner and shoemaker by trade, following this until he went to Ohio, in 1804. He bought one hundred and forty-six acres of land, unimproved. There he built a small cabin, but by mistake got it on another claim, as he did his first clearing. He finally cleared up and finely improved his own land, living there until his death in either 1846 or 1847. He built the first sawmill in the township of Vienna. He was married and had two sons who divided the farm, William’s father taking the east half. By trade William C. Munson was a mason, which he followed for a considerable time in building up Warren, after the first great fire there. William C. remained on the farm with his father until the latter’s death in March, 1870. The mother died June 2, 1887.
William C. Munson attended school first, at Methodist Corners, about two miles away, but later a school house was built nearer. He remained at home with his parents until seventeen years of age, when in partnership with his father he built a mill which they operated for three years. Later, in 1845, William C. erected another mill on his own land. This he operated until 1894, then put up a steam mill on a two hundred and thirty-four acre tract of land, which he purchased at that date. This mill and his farm, he continued to operate until he retired in 1900. He was afflicted with rheumatism, hence gave the mill property to his son John, who still conducts the same. His son Jesse R. now conducts the farm. When the father conducted the place, he made a specialty of raising Holstein cattle, in which he was very successful. At the date of the Civil war Mr. Munson had raised a company of troops to enter the Union cause, but on account of his parents was compelled to remain at home. He was personally acquainted with the late President McKinley, as he was also with his venerable father, William McKinley, Sr.
Mr. Munson was married May 13, 1851, to Miss Elinor Mackey, born in Vienna township, a daughter of Andrew and Jane (Scott) Mackey, both of Irish descent. The father was born in Ireland and the mother probably in Maryland. They were farmers and early settlers in Trumbull county, Ohio, and both are now deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Munson have been born the following children: John W., married first Mary Goyst, who became the mother of one child, Ellenor; he married secondly Mary Elert, a native of Pennsylvania, he resided in Vienna township on a farm; Elizabeth, wife of Wesley Meeker, residing near Tyrrell Hill, Fowler township; Jesse R., who manages the home farm; Lavina, wife of Lucius Greenwood, residing in Fowler township; Willis J., a wagon salesman for the Studebaker Company, married Emma Smith, of Poland, Ohio, and resides in Warren, Ohio. While not a member, William C. Munson always attends the Methodist church. In his politics, he is Republican, but has never desires, and would not accept public office.