Penza is the historic place name for a post village centered around the intersection of Warner Road and Everett-East Road, on the boundary line between Vienna Township and Liberty Township to the south. Penza was in Liberty Township.
The site of Mahoning No. 9 coal mine, the town had a one-room schoolhouse and post office. The town opened in 1884. The post office was closed officially on March 1, 1903.
In 1906 the population of Penza was 200.
 Heilprin, Angelo, and Heilprin, eds. Geographical Dictionary of the World In the Early Twentieth Century With a Pronouncing Gazetteer, Part Two: M to Z (New Delhi, India: Logos Press, 1990), p. 1426. This work was originally published in 1906.