Ohio Historical Markers
There are two Ohio Historical Markers in Vienna Township.
Title: Mary Ann Campana
This first marker, dedicated in 1993, is located at the Youngstown Regional Airport in front of the Administration Building at 1453 Youngstown-Kingsville Road NE. The sponsors of the marker were the National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame (Mahoning Valley Chapter), Order Sons of Italy in America (Lodge 858 Youngstown), Youngstown Wolves Club-Den 6, Western Reserve Port Authority-Youngstown/Warren Regional Airport, Vertex Development Corp. (Girard, Ohio), and The Ohio Historical Society.
Text, Side A:
Born on April 18, 1913, in Barrea, Province L'Aquila Abruzzi, Italy to Salvatore and Maria (Lombardozzi) Campana, Mary Ann Campana immigrated to the United States with her parents at age eight. Raised in Youngstown and educated in the Youngstown Public Schools and Youngstown College, Ms. Campana was a pioneer in Ohio, national, and international aviation. In 1932, at age eighteen, she achieved the distinction of being the first licensed woman pilot in Ohio. On June 4, 1933, with only 44 hours of prior flying time, Mary Ann established the world's endurance record in the Lightplane class for a non-refueled flight. Flying above Youngstown in a 500-pound Taylor Cub Plane with a 40-horsepower engine and loaded with 40 gallons of gasoline, she flew for 12 hours and 27 minutes without a parachute, breaking the old record by one hour and ten minutes before electrical storms forced her down.
Text, Side B:
In addition to her aeronautical accomplishments Mary Ann Campana was also a successful businesswoman, working her way from a sales clerk at the G.C. Murphy Co. 5 & 10¢ store to vice-president and co-owner of four Pollyanna clothing stores. In 1989, in honor of her achievements, Ms. Campana was conferred Cavaliere of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic.
Title: Vienna Township Green and Cemetery
The second marker is located on the Vienna Township Green, southeast of the gazebo at 4295 Warren-Sharon Road titled "Vienna Township Green and Cemetery." The sponsors of the marker were the Vienna Historical Society and the Ohio History Connection. The marker was dedicated on September 20, 2014.
Text, Side A:
The Connecticut Land Company surveyed Vienna Township as Township 4, Range 2, in 1798. The Township’s proprietors were Ephraim Root, Uriel Holmes, Jr., and Timothy Burr. Survey members Dennis Clark Palmer, Isaac Flower, and Samuel Hutchins and their families were the first to settle here in 1799. Between 1810 and 1840, Vienna was a center for the wooden works clock industry in Trumbull County and the Connecticut Western Reserve, with six factories located amid farms, sawmills, and quarries. After coal was discovered in 1866, over twenty mines were opened, bringing boom times for two decades. Vienna’s miners helped to bring about Ohio’s first mining safety law in 1874. Vienna was the birthplace of abolitionist and attorney John Hutchins (1812-1891), who represented Trumbull and Ashtabula counties in the United States Congress (1859-1863) and raised troops during the Civil War.
Text, Side B:
Vienna Township Green and Cemetery were created on June 20, 1810, when Ephraim Root and Uriel Holmes, Jr., deeded to Vienna Presbyterian Church members eight acres of “cleared & improved” land “North West of the Centre Point.” Historic structures standing on the Green are Vienna Presbyterian Church (1854); Vienna Center School (before 1872), now serving as Copper Penny Masonic Lodge; and Vienna Methodist Church (1849-50). The Soldiers and Sailors Monument was dedicated in 1889. Vienna Township Cemetery is the site of the Township’s first burial (1805), of pioneer Abiel Bartholomew. Interred here are soldiers of the nation’s wars dating back to the American Revolution; Helen L. Betts (1845-1910), the first woman to receive a medical degree in the Mahoning Valley; and Lulie Mackey Wess (1866-1934), the first woman licensed to practice law in Trumbull County.