St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church
In 1932, the St. Vincent de Paul Society of St. Rose parish in Girard decided to restart a parish mission in Vienna, because of the growing number of Catholic families that had to travel to Girard for church services. Reverend Michael Coan of St. Rose Parish in Girard, Ohio, organized the movement. A committee from Vienna, believed to include John Governor, Mrs. Eli Taiclet, Mr. J. Billock, and Mark Arnal, surveyed the township to determine the number of families who may be interested in reestablishing a Catholic Church in Vienna. William and Eva McQuade responded to the great interest and gave a parcel of land (next to their own property) for the church building. The parish was named St. Vincent de Paul, after the Society in Girard who rekindled the desire to take care of the spiritual needs of the Catholics in Vienna.
The mission church building was moved to what is now known as the western corner of Swift Drive and Warren-Sharon Road (Old Route #82), east of Vienna Center. This building was a one-room school that was purchased in Girard and moved to Vienna. Thirty feet wide and sixty feet long, this structure was heated with two coal and wood burning stoves. Folding chairs substituted for pews. Some pews were later acquired from St. George’s Church in Lisbon, Ohio.
Reverend James Richard Gaffney was appointed the first pastor of St. Vincent de Paul Parish on August 22, 1934, by Auxiliary Bishop James A. McFadden of the Diocese of Cleveland. Father Gaffney remained in Vienna for eight years, before going on to a new parish in Salem, Ohio. He died August 10, 1983. Visit his Find a Grave memorial here.
Reverend Ferris J. Petros served from 1943 until 1944. He was followed in the pulpit by Reverend John F. Roach who began his service on July 7, 1944. Under Father Roach’s pastorate, a new church building was erected. St. Vincent de Paul Church was dedicated on October 28, 1951.
The old church building was torn down and the property sold to the Viets Motor Company. The old rectory, formerly the home of the Frost family, was occupied by Father Roach until 1967. A new rectory of matching yellow brick was then built on the west side of the church. A new parish hall was built in 1970.
Reverend Frank Carfagna was appointed as the new pastor of St. Vincent de Paul Church after Father Roach’s “retirement” in November 1977. Father Carfagna served the congregation until 1984. He was followed by Father John F. Warner, who served from 1984 to 1992, and then by Father Thomas Murphey, who retired September 1, 1998.
In 2008, the Catholic Diocese of Youngstown ordered consolidation of churches. As a result, St. Vincent de Paul was consolidated with another church and renamed St. Thomas the Apostle Catholic Church in 2010. Father Frank Zanni served the parish from 1998 through consolidation in 2010.